[Nfb-krafters-korner] Reminder and info for Bandanna Bag E-mail Class

Lindy van der Merwe stephlin at iafrica.com
Tue Nov 25 06:16:40 UTC 2014

Hi all,
This is just a reminder to sign up for the e-mail sewing class for making a
simple bag out of a bandanna or one piece of square fabric. If you haven't
signed up yet, hurry over to http://www.krafterskorner.org and do so asap.
For this class you should only be able to do some basic hand or machine
sewing.
For those signed up and still considering it, I thought I'd add the
following info:
For hand sewing, make sure you have a needle that you can thread with
relative ease. I have a few needles with large eyes and I have one that is
called a self-threading needle where you just slide the thread into the
needle. Alternatively you can also use one of those small needle threaders
that looks like a wire loop or any other threader you like. I like the
self-threading needles a lot, but be aware that the thread can sometimes
slip out of these needles. We won't be working with very thick fabric, but
we will be sewing through more than one layer of fabric, so keep this in
mind when you choose your needle.
Since submitting my class proposal it occurred to me that I didn't put pins
on the list of supplies.
I have made this bag before and one can do it without having to pin the
sides, but I have decided to include pinning as part of the class, so
although not an absolute necessity, I strongly suggest using medium-sized
pins with the plastic heads. You get many different lengths of these pins,
some very short and others very long, so try to get some that are a
manageable length.
Alternatively, if you are going to sew by hand, you could also use safety
pins in place of the straight pins since we will only need a few to keep the
sides of the bag in place while doing the hand sewing.
You might also want to have a pin cushion or a container for your pins and a
magnet to make it easier to find and pick up your pins.
As mentioned before, this is my first sewing class, so come and join me as
we do this project together and share with and learn from each other.
Lindy