[Nfb-krafters-korner] Sewing Machines

Lindy van der Merwe stephlin at iafrica.com
Sat Oct 4 12:48:19 UTC 2014

To Loren and all,
I think sewing is definitely an option, even if you are totally blind. As a
craft, it may be slightly more challenging than a lot of other crafts, but
it is definitely doable. Sewing machines have come a long way since the time
some of us sewed on our mothers' or grandmothers' machines. Yes, a lot of
machines are electronic with varying features which can make them more or
less accessible. I don't have proof, but I would think that one should still
be able to buy machines that have manual dials and that will make it easy
for you to do the basics of sewing.
The machine I have had for the past 5 years or so is a Singer Futura 350. It
is electronic and it also has embroidery capabilities.
What is nice about this machine is that it has buttons and dials with a kind
of audio feedback. For instance, it has around 80 different stitches. If I
want to use number 46, I can press a certain button 4 times, which will jump
in tens, taking me to 40. Then I can press another button 6 times to go to
6, ending up at stitch 46.
Each time I press the button, I will hear a beep sound. So, once you have
written down or can remember the number of a stitch, it is easy to set your
machine to that stitch.
This is just one feature I like. If people are interested I will share more
about some other things I like, or maybe others could chime in on their
sewing machines?
HTH
Lindy