[Nfb-krafters-korner] off topic a question about blindness and how to explain it 2 sided people

knitangelpm knitangelpm at yahoo.com
Sat Oct 4 22:12:10 UTC 2014

hello all this is Portia!

 I'm in a dilemma and I need some help here since I am renting a room, and
I am sharing a house with three other people, I'm having a difficult I'm
trying to explain to a couple of people that my independence is very
important to me so I need to know how you handle this situation.

 I have to say I think God for my mother really pushing me very hard to be
independent and on my own.
 without her and many of them ONM instructors and VI instructors. I think I
would be totally lost!

 sigh! the lady that I rent the house from has never been around blind
people before so I am the first.
 since my significant other has known me for almost 11 years and knows how
well I have the myself out on the streets I don't have too much of a
problem. but since moving to this new location where we are he has become a
little bit more worrisome for my safety as well as she is but pushes him to
go with me wherever I go
 yesterday was about the last straw for me and I had to explain to both of
them that what would we do without white canes or guide dogs to get around?
 also what would we do if we didn't have instructors to teach us to solicit
help for shopping , at times if you trust people to help you count your
money to get it straight, walk across the street if you need to make sure
your clothes are organized, help with cooking X cetera.

 I know that it is taking some time with the red seats with department of
rehab to get everything in order including my hearing aid so that is a slow
process for me right now
 so where I am at I am near a four way stop it is difficult to cross this
corner where I live so therefore I don't take any chances so I always have
someone to help me across
 back to my original question how do you handle that with people that you
live with or outside of your home that you do not need smothering and how
do you teach them to understand that you can do something but you are doing
those tests with accessible equipment to get around.
 and, to do everyday tasks.

 please forgive me if this sounds like something non essential to this list.
 I need to ask since this is something that is very frustrating to me right
now.

 Portia, Pico Rivera California