[Nfb-krafters-korner] off topic a question about blindness and how to explain it 2 sided people

Annette Carr amcarr1 at verizon.net
Sun Oct 5 01:00:33 UTC 2014

Portia,

I am not exactly clear on the specific situation for which you are looking
for help, so I will offer some food for thought that is more general.  There
is no easy answer.  You have to meet people at the level of where they are
currently thinking before you can get them to understand how you function
independently, and when you need assistance.  Have you explained to them how
you are able to do the things they are insisting on helping you with?  If
you have and they are continuing to insist on helping you, maybe you need to
sit down with them and ask why they feel you need assistance.

When it comes to navigating your new neighborhood, is there any possibility
that there are dangers that you are not aware of?  I'm thinking along the
lines of people who have no regard for the well-being of others and would
not think twice of harming you.

It was a shock to me when a close friend of mine told me that now that I
have lost a significant amount of hearing, that I no longer walked with the
confidence and sure-footedness of when I was younger.  This comment took me
back and I had no idea that I was projecting that image.  In my head, I was
still the fully capable independent traveler that I had always been.  After
this I started to pay more attention to myself and realized that there was a
lot going on around me that I was no longer able to pick-up on.  I was
mentally prepared for the day when I could no longer cross streets
independently because of significant hearing loss, but I was not prepared
for this.

Currently I am coming to the realization that I can no longer walk a
straight line.  In July I stepped off of the edge of the sidewalk and
twisted my ankle.  This has happened many times before, but this was the
worse.  I could not get up and had to call home for my husband to come and
pick me up.  I ended up tearing 4 ligaments and a muscle.  Over 2 months
have passed and I am still in pain and still receiving PT twice a week.  I
caused so much damage in that ankle, that there is very little stabilization
in it and I twisted it again last week.

I am not telling you my story to get sympathy or pity, but as an example
that while we are examining other people to figure out why they are treating
us in a particular way, we also have to examine ourselves and the image we
are presenting.

Most people mean well when they help, but sometimes they just need to gain a
better understanding of how we do things.  Although in some cases we might
perform a task in a different or slower way then how they do it, but as long
as we are safe they need to let us do it.  Sometimes we have to learn how to
accept assistance when it is in our best interest.

I hope you can find some helpful nuggets in what I've written.  Do not
hesitate to write if you want to talk about more specifics.

Annette