[Nfb-krafters-korner] I am wondering how much interest htere is from anyone about loom weaving. Not loom knitting

Jessica iscahlyn at gmail.com
Sun Oct 5 08:39:34 UTC 2014

My plate is still unfortunately full. So I am thinking if enough of you
are interested I can do a call conference in February sometime.
We had a death in our family connections and although I did not know
the person very well it did shake me a little. I am getting back on my
feet so to speak. But still some stuff got put on the back burner.
Anyway.
I think and still think loom weaving is a great craft for many reasons.
It is relaxing. It involves both hands but not in the same way knitting
or crocheting does.
For me its easier on both hands.. Than knitting and crocheting is.
What I would cover in the call would basicly be what loom I use. what
it looks like. Warping the loom there are two methods. I would try to
briefly cover both and explain how easy it is.
Honestly this would be so much easier in podcast form. But I don't know
how to make a podcast sigh.
Um let me see.
The two threads called warp and weft and how they interact with each other.
I do not know everything about weaving. But this little cricket loom
from schacht has opened up so many possibilities.
I wish I had gotten the schacht flip loom sigh. the cricket is too
small. But still it is great.
I have not weaved on it recently because I am trying to do other things first.
I was hoping to get this other stuff done before having this call.
So I really do need to know who is interested. Or if anyone knows how
to make a podcast and could give me tips on how to do so. So I could
have small sessions on each topic and people could get it as their time
permits.
Email me at iscahlyn at gmail.com if you are interested and don't wish to
fill the list up with I am interested emails.
Again if there is enough interest I am thinking a call in February or
somewhere in there. Just to give me some breathing and catchup room.
And so I can share the other way of warping which I have an idea how.
But have not done it yet. Because I am trying to get other stuff out of
the way.
I would also cover why one way of warping the loom is good and why
another way may be better. And it is the better way that I still need to learn.
I will also discuss the cons of weaving.
Anyway I know this was a bit scattered. But that is basicly it.
I was in a weaving class where the teacher thought a blind person could
not warp a loom. Weave on it yes. But warp on it no.
Well I warped my loom just fine the first time. And my goal of this
call would be to show that weaving can be done by any blind person from
start to finish if they have the patience to do it.
My mom said she could never take the time to warp a loom. But that is
her. And it really doesn't take much time once you know how to do it.
Floor and table looms. Eeek. HOnestly those may be harder to warp
because they are just more complex. But I am sure with the right tools
a blind person could warp those too. But i don't have a floor or table
loom to test this on.
I like the rigid hddle looms. Easy to warp. Easy to weave on. And give
you the feeling of having a floor or table loom without all the extra
hassle a floor or table loom would give you.
Again though. I wish totally that I had gotten a folding rigid heddle
loom. It helps a lot when you have small corner space.
Jessica