[Nfb-krafters-korner] macrame purse or other projects

Lindy van der Merwe stephlin at iafrica.com
Thu Sep 4 08:34:44 UTC 2014

Hi Cathy,
Thanks for thinking of teaching this. I would love to learn how to make
other things using macrame.
I am wondering if there are techniques to join the macrame strands together
to make things like a table mat, for instance?
I have just experimented with making chains using only my fingers, with some
fabric strips and then trying to join the chains together to make a round
table mat or coaster. The chains came out ok, but I struggled to find a way
to join the chains. It was difficult to get my joining stitches uniform so
they would look like a pattern, and to hide the knots where I had to use a
new fabric strip. I also tried a square mat, but it was fairly difficult to
keep the chains straight and the same length.
Someone bought the fabric strips for me. It was already cut into strips that
were tied together at the ends and rolled into a ball and it is slightly
stretchy, so maybe it might be possible to get a better result using macrame
and string?
I'm just wondering if you or others have come across other things to make
with macrame?
I have tried making a photo frame, but have had limited success with where
one has to make the turns to form, say, a square frame.
Thanks.
Lindy