[Nfb-krafters-korner] FW: help with decreasing the crown of a hat?

Powers, Terry (NIH/NCI) [E] Terry.Powers at nih.gov
Wed Sep 24 18:26:46 UTC 2014

Portia;
I read the imfo again and like I said, the gaps are staggered.
Move 2 to 1 in each section  knit the 4 doubles, knit all pegs and pass empty pegs.
Do the same with 4 to 3,  and next round, 6 to 5.
If you want, you can do it one or two more times since you are doing a larger hat.

I usually gather all stitches on a 36 peg loom.

Thread working yarn from bottom to top and bring it to the inside of loom, on all 36+ stitches and then back again through peg 1.

Take all stitches off pegs.

Gathering
Tighten stitches, a few at a time, going from below the working yarn.   The working yarn is the last thing you want to pull.   Go around from below the working yarn to the tail of your working yarn, a few times, getting rid of slack yarn between stitches.  The crown will tighten, each time you go around.

When tightened, give yourself10 or 12 inches of yarn and cut off the rest.  Bring working yarn to inside  of hat.  Turn hat inside out and make  stitches through the gathered top.  Many use a crisscross method.  Knot your yarn and thread down through multiple stitches of your hat.
Turn right side out after cutting working yarn.

Terry P.