[Nfb-krafters-korner] Knitting a Pie for Pie Day

Annette Carr amcarr1 at verizon.net
Sun Mar 15 12:50:36 UTC 2015

Hi All,

Yesterday was Pi day.  The celebration of Pi which is used in the
calculation of circumferences.  So if it has been a while since you cracked
open a grade school math book, Pi is the number 3.14159.  Actually the
number goes on for more digits than that, but for simplicity sake 5 decimal
places works.

I'm sure you are wondering what does this have to do with crafting and why
is it being celebrated.  The celebration part is because yesterday was March
14, otherwise known as 3/14.  A number of years ago schools began
celebrating Pi Day on March 14 to bring math to the attention of children.
Now 2015 is even more special because the date 3/14/15 takes into account
more decimal places in Pi, 3.1415.  There was a moment in time yesterday
March 14 in the 9am hour which incorporated even more of the decimal places
of Pi.  I will stop being a geek and now tell you how this applies to
crafting.

Back towards the end of 2014, I taught a class in using short row shaping in
knitting.  Well here is a link to a pattern for a round dish cloth that
incorporates short row knitting and Pi.  Don't worry, you do not have to do
the math calculations, Donna has done it for you in her pattern.

The below link will take you to Donna W. Hill's dishcloth pattern.  Some of
you might recognize her name as she is the author of The Heart of
AppleButter Hill.  If you have not yet read this book, you should put it on
your reading list.  I enjoyed reading it and I think many of you will enjoy
it as well.  I think it should be required reading for high school students.

Here is the link to Donna's knitting post related to 3/14/15 the ultimate Pi
Day & Albert Einstein's birthday.

"knitting a Pie for Pi Day"
http://donnawhill.com/2015/03/14/knitting-a-pie-for-pi-day/

Happy Pi Day!