[Nfb-krafters-korner] did you miss it

Lauren Merryfield lauren at catlines.com
Thu Oct 15 22:29:13 UTC 2015

Hi,
I make beaded bracelets and necklaces mostly using gemstones or semiprecious gemstones. I do not know how to make earrings. I do not know how to do findings, and crimping and stuff; I just string the beads. I do not use a needle, so I use beads that are 6mm or larger and I use wire that is stiff enough (but not too stiff) to put through the beads. I know that some blind people do use needles and work with seed beads, but I think they would drive me nuts.

I keep my beads in multicompartmented boxes with braille labels on the inside edge of each compartment. Sometimes I put the bead type on the underside of the lid above the corresponding compartment. I do have other beads, still in their original bags, which have not made it to boxes yet and I put braille labels on the outsides of those bags. I have all of my jewelry stuff in one big plastic bin with a lid on it that the felines can't mess with. They don't even scratch that.

I order most of my gemstone beads from Fire Mountain Gems And Beads in Oregon. Occasionally, if another company has something in particular that I am looking for, I will shop with them. Shipwreck Beads, is another good company, though you have to place a minimum order.

I haven't been able to sell much because I haven't known how to deal with pictures. Evidently all other blind people have someone sighted at their disposal, to help, however, I rarely do. I don't know how many times some blind people have said "don't you have a family member or sighted friend who could help you; that's what I do." I am hoping to figure the picture thing  out soon and try to sell again on eBay or Etsy. Amazon also has a new handmade program I might check into eventually. You might have good luck through those channels.

When I am working on a project, I usually use a tv tray and keep my bead boxes on that. Sometimes I open and close them a lot due to possible sudden feline assistance especially by Laynie, my youngest. (my tortoise shell kitty). I will sometimes put the amount of beads of different types into small bowls, measuring cups,  or medicine cups or the like, but, again, not when feline disaster could strike. I do not use the type of containers that are smaller at the bottom than at the top, because they can tip easily (been there; done that). I always keep separate shapes and/or colors separate. Even if I am only using three types of beads in a project, I do not mix them, even though I could identify them by touch. I don't want to take the chance that I might not finish a project and come back to it months later and not remember which was which.

 A tv tray with edges would be really great! I used to have such a set, however, my daughter's upbringing included her playing with them to their death.

I have a pair of wire cutters, a tactile tape measure, and spools of wire and silk-like cord for stringing. I use the cord for pendants that don't really need other beads with them. Joyce's idea of putting tape on the ends of cord to stiffen them so that beads can be strung on them is a very good and helpful idea.

I wish I could learn how to use findings and make earrings, but so far, no sighted person  has been willing to instruct me. I know a blind person who does do these things however, instruction has been lacking. There might be competition concern there on her part.

That reminds me, One thing I really do like about this list is the willingness of crafters to share and not keep their how-tos secret. Sharing and helping each other is a good thing, in many ways.
Thanks,
Lauren
Well, sorry to ramble. I'm sure others will have more ideas for you, and, possibly, for me, too.
Thanks,
Lauren