[Nfb-krafters-korner] Counting Stitches

ncbootman at gmail.com ncbootman at gmail.com
Sat Apr 30 22:04:47 UTC 2016

I changed the subject because nobody is an idiot. There is a simple secret
for counting stitches. Count count count and count some more.

First of all, if you don't feel comfortable with crochet and you are
starting with a blanket, that is a huge undertaking. That's like a new cook
going into the kitchen and saying I'm gonna make some fancy French sauce. It
can be done. But, the chances of it coming out really right are not good.

Start with something small. Make a dishcloth, a potholder, a placemat, a
blanket for your little girl's doll, but not a big old blanket.

Only do one stitch. Once you make your foundation chain, choose a pattern
that uses one stitch. You can make beautiful items with nothing more than
single crochet. If you have a mixture of chain stitches, you are going to
get overwhelmed and confused at first. Someone sent me a "beginner" pattern.
It was far from beginner because it required complicated counting, knowing
multiple stitches, and so on.

To count, know how many stitches you should have in that first row. If you
don't, take it out and stitch it again. Do this till you figure out what you
are doing wrong or you get the right number. If you can't crochet a line of
20 single crochets, you sure can't put fancy embellishments and fancy
stitches. Do overs are not failures. They are getting more entertainment for
your crafting dollar. With that ball of yarn, you go from making an afghan
size thing to making a football field size thing. Lol.

Ask questions. Make them specific. Don't ask me how to do a chain. Then, in
the next message ask the next person how to do a single crochet, and in the
time! Be patient. Do it step by step and it will come.

Greg