[Nfb-krafters-korner] Bookshare questions

Deborah Armstrong debee at jfcl.com
Wed Aug 17 20:43:57 UTC 2016

 >I just found out I can not access bookshare from 2 different computers.  I
 >want to learn at work, where there is computer help and then use my
 >computer at home.

In my job as a tech for disabled students I get this question all the time.

So I won't post answers here, but rather give you just a touch of
homework. I'll give answers in the chat.

And this homework goes for all of you with any sort of tech problem.

The secret is to be able to define your problem with clarity. Once you
do so you have moved halfway towards the solution.

So all of you with issues, do the homework:

Unclear: I tried to put a comment on Facebook and it didn't work.
Clear: I was looking at my friend's facebook page. There was an edit
field for me to write on her wall. I typed a comment in to that field.
But I couldn't find a button to post, or save my comment.

Unclear: I tried to put a book on my player and it wouldn't download.

Clear: I have a Victor Reader Stream. I connected it to my computer. I
found a book I wanted to read on the player. But the next step in my
instructions said to drag the book over to the player and I don't know
how to do that.

Unclear: I can't get my messages off my voice recorder

Clear: I want to save all the recordings from my digital voice recorder
on to my computer so I can make room for new recordings. But when I plug
it in to my computer, nothing happens. What's the next step?

Unclear: I used to be able to connect to the school wi-fi but now it
doesn't work.

Clear: I connected before to the school wi-fi fine. But this morning, it
says my password is not valid. I carefully typed in the password again,
but a message appears saying it's an invalid password and I don't get
connected.

Unclear: I got this weird error about network problems.
Clear: When I am at home and try to use my Dad's printer, a message
appears reading "You are not connected to the network". But  I can print
without any trouble using my laptop. I know I'm connected because I can
surf the web just fine.

See, clarity makes the tech happy, because then the tech knows what kind
of problem you have. So strive for clarity in all things tech. You don't
need to know any geek lingo, but you do need to describe the problem in
an unambiguous way.

One of my pet peeves is that people don't need computer literacy as much
as they need the skill to describe problems well.  That is what we
should be teaching everyone, instead of worrying about how well they
understand technology!

--Debee