[Nfb-krafters-korner] starting with a skein of yarn

Cathy Flesher flowersandherbs at gmail.com
Tue Dec 27 02:05:37 UTC 2016

Hi Marianne,

Yes, skeins of yarn can often get tangles when they are created in the
factory. They can also have knots in the yarn. I remember awhile back
writing a letter to a company about the yarn they shipped me because it was
filled with knots. they were great about sending me a new skein.
Anyhow, I learned fairly early in my crocheting and knitting journey that it
is certainly better to wind the yarn into a ball. It can save tears later on
so I always wind my yarn now. I also learned that when rolling the ball it
is best to wind gently so the yarn does not stretch as many yarns will do
that.

To find the yarn end to use to begin to wind your ball, you take the outer
yarn end and set it aside. Then check each side of the skein poking your
fingers in until you find an end of yarn. you pull this out and the skein
should unravel nicely. Did you notice the word should? I have found that
this is not the best way to go. For me, what works best is II place the
skein in a bucket and use  the outer strand of yarn to wind my ball. The
skein will jump around like a frisky puppy, but will rarely tangle.

Hope this helps.

Have a great day!!
Cathy F