[Nfb-krafters-korner] List is slow So I will complain

ncbootman at gmail.com ncbootman at gmail.com
Fri Jul 1 21:08:07 UTC 2016

Joyce,

I agree with you totally that there is a place for phone classes and any
other formats people can come up with. One difference that is contributing
to the change in students is that in the beginning, everyone was starting at
the beginning. So, more input was probably required. Now, some are starting
at what is a knitting loom and others are so advanced that they are going
and this project could be done different by doing it this way or you could
take this and make a bunch of different stuff. As students change and their
skill levels change, teaching methods have to evolve with that. It takes all
kinds of teaching and all levels of learning. If everyone is forced to be a
beginner all over again, they get bored and leave. Hadn't you rather that
instead of telling the advanced student to go find something on the internet
that they share that knowledge with you too that they gained? If I go find a
really cool article on a form of quilting, only I benefited. If I share that
with others, we all benefited. If a person has illness or a family member or
needing to help with homework for the children, forcing them to make a
choice between taking care of those other more important tasks or learning,
then the craft class is what they will and should skip. If it's possible to
somehow do both, then that student really benefits. I'm not saying all
classes should be e-mail. Just a realization that it takes all kinds of
approaches for the most benefit to the widest member group.

Greg