[Nfb-krafters-korner] Why I'm not taking an August class

Deborah Armstrong debee at jfcl.com
Fri Jul 29 20:18:10 UTC 2016

It looks like you have some wonderful classes coming up. My thanks to
all the members who give up time to create the classes!

My issue is that I'm a klutzy beginner. I can knit and purl, but I've
never used a loom, know only one way to cast on and can't crochet
either. I do know how to use circulars; made several hats, but don't
know how to use DPNS either.

I guess I could take a bead class but have trouble picturing what these
things look like.  And I can already hear my husband reminding me I
should be using up the yarn I've already bought, before I go buying more
craft supplies. And I do have tons of yarn and needles.

I'm not on a fixed income, so it's not a real problem for me financially
to buy some supplies, but I don't really want to argue with him about
why I need the stuff when I already have a room full of knitting supplies!

I took up knitting because I learned from Davey Hulse's superb "Touch of
Yarn" (a book for blind knitters) and I needed something I could do on
my commute which totals 3 hours each week day. That's the only real time
I have for crafting, because I'm sleeping or working or trying to be a
homemaker otherwise. But I did manage to make an entire afghan, just on
my commute, out of 25 squares, each exactly a foot square. It's an
enormous colorful thing and every square was knitted on a bumpy
paratransit van!

So I'm feeling a little stuck. Seems like only the beginning crochet,
which I signed up for already will make a dent in my existing inventory!
And the other classes require skills I don't yet have. It also looks
like many of them aren't portable; they won't really fit in to my long
commute.

Thoughts? Am I misguided?

--Debee