[Nfb-krafters-korner] Lion Brand Amazing

Deborah Armstrong debee at jfcl.com
Sat Jul 30 00:51:22 UTC 2016

Terry is right; the website I linked to is not that accessible. They say
it is in beta; it replaced the site I loved and it now shows only
thirteen varieties of Amazing. At one time, I knew of 25 varieties.

Amazing is a wool acrylic brand, and it's supposed to be weight category
4 but to me feels a little thinner than that. I like best knitting it on
size 5 needles; my stitches are quite loose. Skeins have 147 yards.

It is slightly scratchy but warm, and after a few washings, the
scratchiness fades. It is a yarn that every sighted person exclaims
over.  It doesn't have any special care instructions except don't get
the dryer too hot. Dye lot doesn't matter because it's variagated and
lion brand says every skein of amazing, even the same variety is different.

On Lion brand's site it's $8.29 a skein, and that's ridiculous. Amazon,
knitting warehouse and walmart are cheaper. Walmart lists a limited
number of varieties online, you can often find more in a store. Usually
my Walmart sells it for $4.99. Once you've touched it in a Walmart, you
can locate it again without  sighted help, you'll just need to know the
variety if you care about color. My sighted friends say all of them are
pretty.

If you have an iPHONE one of the owners of Digit-Eyes was a marketer for
Lion Brand so all their yarns are in there. It can be challenging to
find its bar code, scan along the skein's seam.

You can also find it all over ebay. Also on Amazon you can find it in
3-packs. a 3-pack is the same variety, but three skeins for a discount.

I have a list of all the varieties somewhere, and I'll try to dig it up.
Below I pasted the thirteen ones I found on the Lion Brand site. Not
sure if they are discontinuing the others or simply fixing the site. The
way it works now is you click on a picture of the yarn (which is a
graphic with an alt text label of its sku number) and a larger picture
appears. Below that picture is the text description. I can't see well
enough to tell that, I just know a fair bit about handling tricky sites.

In the bright sun I can indeed see the yarn, though certainly not on the
website. To my limited vision, Mauna Loa is the most beautiful.

If you have the money, track down one skein of each color. If that's too
expensive you can't go wrong with any of those that have purple or blue
in my opinion!

     Aurora
Bright pink, purple, mustard, and blue

     Mesa
Burnt orange, gold, brown, red, and violet

     Pink Sands
Light pink, periwinkle blue, golden yellow, and lavender

     Strawberry Fields
Bubblegum pink, mustard, teal, medium pink, and red-orange

     Cobblestone
Beige, dusty brown, and dark grey

     Rain Forest
Olive, medium green, pea green, and yellow

     Olympia
Light gray, dusty blue, and dark gray

     Glacier Bay
Violet, deep magenta, deep sky blue, and yellow-green

     Mauna Loa
Bright fuchsia, electric purple, and vivid blue

     Wildflowers
Light green, lavender, dusty pink, and blue

     Arcadia
Medium green, burnt orange, deep blue, and dark red

     Vineyard
Burgundy, magenta, and chocolate brown

     Roses
Bright Magenta, deep fuchsia, and dark wine red

--Debee