[Nfb-krafters-korner] Question about a sewing machine

Ramona Walhof walhoframona at gmail.com
Wed Mar 30 21:42:55 UTC 2016

Kebbie, I really recommend you try out a machine before purchasing it,
especially if your ppurchase is through the mail or online.  I know nothing
about this particular model, but Brothers makes good machines.  If it has
electronic settings, you need to find out whether you can use them.  If it
does not have electronic settings, it is likely to be pretty manageable for
a blind person.  It is desirable to have a seam guide that screws onto the
top of your sewing surface.  If it does not, you can make one, but it will
not likely be as firm.  Threading the machine and the bobbin should be
doable on almost any machine, but some are easier than others.  Some
machines have buttons or levers that you can actually feel.  Some have flat
surfaces with electronic buttons.  You need to know which you are getting.
If they are electronic, you may be able to mark them, but you need to know.
If electronic buttons show you a series of things one after the other in the
same spot, that may be the most difficult, but you still may be able to work
out a way.  I would not like to get one of those without trying it out to be
sure.
You should be able to sew seams and hems with almost any machine.  If the
machine does design stitches, stretch stitches, etc., that's where the
settings can be tough.
Good luck!
Ramona