[Nfb-krafters-korner] notes from Monday night chat

Nella Foster jellybeanfarm at gmail.com
Wed Nov 16 17:36:54 UTC 2016

Here are the notes and recipes from the November 14th chat.  I will send out
a second message with a list of resources.  I also want to thank the members
that shared their recipes and experiences with me.

I apologize for any spelling mistakes, typos or grammatical errors.

During our discussion I forgot to mention it is very important to label all
bottles of homemade solutions.  If your memory is anything like mine you
won't remember what is in which bottle.  Sometimes I buy new bottles and
sometimes I use empty cleaning bottles.  I try to put a Braille label on it
as soon as I make the solution.

I've noticed that recipes containing olive oil seem to clog up the spray
bottles pretty quickly.  I've started putting those solutions into squirt
bottles instead of spray bottles.

If you have any questions or need any clarification about the recipes please
let me know.

Homemade Cleaning Agents

Homemade Powdered Laundry Detergent

Courtney and Linda use this and like it.  One of my friends makes it and
gave me some to try.  I thought it worked very well.

1 bar Fels-naphtha laundry soap, finely grated
1/2 cup Arm & Hammer Soda Wash (NOT baking soda)
1/2 cups Borax
Essential oil, optional

Place all ingredients into a medium bowl & mix thoroughly with a spoon or
gloved hands. Cover bowl with a tight fitting lid. Use 1-2 tablespoons of
powder mixture per load of laundry.

Cost: $0.02-0.04 per load

                Here are some air fresheners that Terry Knox shared with me.
I’ve used variations of these and they worked very well.

You can use 3 different types of essential oils to make any spray, such as
Lavender, grapefruit, peppermint, orange, rose, juniper, and spearmint
One clean 12 ounce spray bottle
One fourth cup rubbing alcohol
25 drops essential oil
8 drops cloves essential oil
5 drops lemon essential oil
One cup Distilled water

In spray bottle combine alcohol and essential oils and shake well. Add water
and shake well again. Allow mixture to sit for a few days to combine well.
Just a little will fragrance a room.  I’ve used different combinations of
oils and amounts to get the scent I want.  You can play with this one.

                APPLE PIE AIR SCENT

3 cups water
6 cloves
One cinnamon stick
6 pieces dry orange peel

In a small saucepan over medium heat, combine all items and bring to a boil.
Reduce heat and simmer uncovered, until home is filled with scent.  This
sounds great for the holidays.

FURNITURE POLISHES

                LEMON Polish

one cup Olive oil
One third cup lemon juice
One clean 16 ounce spray bottle

Combine in spray bottle and shake well, before using.  Apply a small amount
to a clean soft cloth and apply to the item you are cleaning.  Use a clean,
dry cloth to buff and polish.  Discard and make new batch when polishing
again.  This will keep in the refrigerator for a few weeks.  I use this and
like it.

             Wood Cleaner

One fourth cup boiled linseed oil
One eighth cup vinegar
One eight cup whiskey
One clean 16 ounce spray bottle

Combine all items into spray bottle and shake to combine. Apply small amount
to clean cloth and apply where cleaning.

                Cabinet Polish for Large Items

One teaspoon lemon juice
One teaspoon olive oil
2 cups warm water

Combine all items in large container. Dip a clean cloth in mixture and wring
out. Wipe over wood and buff and polish with a soft cloth.  I’ve used this
one before and it can also be used on leather.

                Mold and Mildew Remover

One cup white vinegar
2 tablespoons borax
4 cups hot water
One clean 32 ounce spray bottle

Combine all items into spray bottle and spray on mildew area, then wipe
away.  You Can leave some of the spray on the area that was cleaned to
prevent mold and mildew from reappearing.

                Tile/Paint Cleaner

One fourth cup bleach
One tablespoon borax
One and one half cups water
One clean 16 ounce spray bottle

Keep area well vented when using this. Combine all items in spray bottle and
shake to mix. Spray area to be cleaned.  Clean with cloth to remove mildew
and dry with another cloth.

All Purpose Cleaner

  Mix 1/2 cup vinegar and 28 oz. water in a spray bottle.

I keep this on my kitchen counter and wipe them down with it several times a
day.

Window Cleaner

  Put 1/3 cup ammonia in a 32 oz. bottle and fill with water.

Spray this on glass and clean with paper.

Laminate Floor Cleaner

  Mix together 1 gal. water, 1 cup vinegar and 1/2 cup olive oil.

Linda uses this and says it is very slick, so she reduced the oil to 1/4
cup, which does well.  I use 1 gal. of water and 1 cup of vinegar to mop my
vinyl flooring.  This can also be used on hard wood floors as long as they
aren’t waxed.

                                Terry Knox shared the following Bathroom
Naturals with me.

                All Purpose Cleaner

2 teaspoons borax
½ teaspoon washing soda
2 tablespoons lemon juice
4 tablespoons white vinegar
3 cups very hot water
One clean 24 ounce spray bottle

Mix items except hot water and shake to mix well.  Then slowly add hot
water; shake bottle until all powder is dissolved.  Shake before each use.
Spray on tiles and surfaces in bathroom, then clean with a clean damp cloth.

                Soft Scrub
 1/4 cup borax
1/2 teaspoon Murphy’s oil soap
1/2 teaspoon lemon juice

In a small bowl combine borax and oil soap; add lemon juice to make a paste.
Apply to damp cloth or sponge and place where needed to remove any type of
stain in bathroom.

                Non Toxic Bathroom Cleaner

1 1/3 cups baking soda
1/2 cup liquid soap
1/2 cup water
2 tablespoons white vinegar
One clean 16 ounce squirt bottle with lid

Mix baking soda and liquid soap in a bowl; then add water and vinegar.  stir
with a fork until any lumps are dissolved.  Pour into bottle and shake well
before each use.  Squirt on area to be cleaned and scrub with a nylon
sponge.  Rinse with clean water, keep cap on between uses.

                Shower Head Cleaner

1/4 cup baking soda
1 cup vinegar
Large sandwich bag with tape or large bag tie

This will remove mineral deposits.
 Over a sink mix baking soda and vinegar in bag. Wait for foaming to stop
and then place bag over shower head.   it should be submerged in powder.
Secure bag to the head with tape or bag tie and allow to sit for one to one
and one half hours.  Then wipe head off with a soft cloth.

                Non Toxic Rust Remover

1 or 2 limes
¼ cup salt

Squeeze lime over rust spots and then cover with salt.  Allow to set for 3
or4 hours.  Use a nylon scrubber and rust will be gone.

                Non Toxic Toilet Cleaner

1 cup borax
½ cup white vinegar

Flush toilet and sprinkle borax around sides of toilet.  Drizzle vinegar
over borax.  Allow toilet to sit 3 to 4 hours before scrubbing with a toilet
brush.

Tougher Toilet Cleaner

2/3 cups borax
1/3 cup lemon juice

In a small bowl combine to make a paste.  Apply to bowl using a sponge or
rag.  Allow to set for 2 hours then scrub off.