[Nfb-krafters-korner] Knit sweater class

walhoframona at gmail.com walhoframona at gmail.com
Sat Oct 22 20:53:37 UTC 2016

I can show how to make good-looking and strong seams; and I can instruct how to pick up stitches I think. Sometimes instructing and doing are different. I even know some cheater ways to do facings, such as take the sweater to a place where they put grow-grain ribbon behind the facing and then do the buttonholes on the sewing machine. I have used sewing-weight thread to overcast around the buttonholes, also. I just think there must be something I don't know that would make all that unnecessary.
If somebody has a simple cardigan pattern, with the facings included in the front pieces, I think I can teach the techniques. V-neck patterns with no collar and no pockets are good for a first sweater. Sizing is essential, but we will cover the concepts on that in January. I can come up with a v-neck or round-neck cardigan pattern sweater with a simple all-over design that would be good for any size or age or just simple stockinette all over. But if somebody already has something like this they like, it would also work. It generally takes me about two months to hand-knit an adult sized sweater, so we would have to figure out how to schedule classes or do it by email. I would recommend using circular needle, probably size 7 or 8 with worsted-weight yarn. So let me know what you think. It could be scheduled in February and March, so not much time to wear it this winter. Thursday evenings seem to be the best time for me to schedule phone classes.
Annette, I have a raglan neck-down pattern, but it is not easier than the round-neck bottom-up patterns I use.
I have a three-color yoke pull-o"er pattern that is very popular, but it is not a first-sweater design. Just to whet your sweater appetites, seed-stitch virticle stripes are another polular good-looking sweater both for pull-overs and cardigans. As I say, sweaters are my favorite thing to do, and it has been several months since I have made one, so keep after me, and we will figure out what to do when.
Ramona