[Nfb-krafters-korner] Some good information made in class tonight to share

blindhands at aol.com blindhands at aol.com
Thu Oct 27 01:51:40 UTC 2016

The discussion came up regarding sewingand use of guides.

Dixie came up with a very interesting suggestion and I will include the
information that I shared.
 Dixie told us that she pets from a framing store  1/4" cubed clear plastic
type frame spacers.  Well I searched on the internet and look that up, These
come in an array of different sizes starting at 1/8:, 1/4 going upward to
around 1 1/2 or 2"."   They come in pairs and have all different length
This was talking about quarter inch seam guides for sewing by hand or
machine.

This would be good for other projects that you might need a guide for.

As I had told them tonight I found a website that had several other things
that I thought would be interesting and an excellent tool.  Yes it is made
for quilters, but there are a lot more uses that you can think up.

I found them on Nancysnotions.com

There was a 4 inch ruler or 4 1/2" ruler that had a 1/4" marked on one side
the length of it and on one end it had a hole 1/4" in from the long side  so
you could actually put the sewing machine needle and the pressure foot down
to check if you truly do have a 1/4" foot.  You could put tacky notes and
stitck them to the bed of your machine using several of them so you could
butt the fabric against the sticky notes and use that as a guide.  You could
also use this for hand sewing and stick the hand sewing needle into the hole
move it a little and poke the needle from the back to the top thru the hole.
This would give you 1/4" seams .

The frame spacers would work great for quilting -putting one edge against
your seam line and quilting along the other side.

I also had found a ruler that was 1/2" wide and if you put it on a square
that you wanted to make a half square triangle you could mark the seam
allowance on both diagonal 1/4" away from the center diagonal.  I know you
can't see it, but I use to cut squares with a rotary cutter and I had a few
tricks I learned for half square triangles which are used a lot in quilt.  I
could think of several ways to put this to use, if I didn't have an
Accuquilt.

Now I need to go back as there is something I read that might be what I am
looking for.

Joyce
s.