[Nfb-krafters-korner] Further encouragement for Naima

Sandra Streeter sandrastreeter381 at gmail.com
Sat Sep 3 15:13:51 UTC 2016

Hi, everyone,

Naima, you need to surround yourself with people (sighted and blind) who have the willingness and ability to think creatively and a willing spirit—and that’s just what you get from Krafters Korner, as you’re already aware. I was blessed that, from a young age, I had both—sighted mom tried to teach me crocheting (didn’t work only because she was the wrong teacher for that, but she did succeed in teaching me basic sewing skills), and a fourth-grade sighted teacher who took several of us (mostly sighted) under her wing to learn knitting. I took home economics in high school under a sighted teacher, and using a sewing machine was an absolute requirement—although I haven’t pursued machine sewing since, I know it can be done, with a few adaptations.  Then, a sighted craft instructor some 20 years later expanded on that and also gave me a Braille beginner crochet book when I decided I was bored and needed to try something somewhat new; I said, if I didn’t take to crocheting this time, I’d just lay that aside forever, but if I did take to it, it would be a new skill—and, as an adult, I finally understood concepts that I didn’t get as a kid! So, hang out with these guys—they won’t steer you wrong! Also, don’t despair of finding sighted people who are willing to take a chance on you—there are many, you just have to keep looking. Happy crafting!

Sandra
"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye." - Antoine de Saint-Exupery
The Little Prince

---