[Nfb-krafters-korner] mailing crafts

blindhands at aol.com blindhands at aol.com
Wed Sep 7 02:43:18 UTC 2016

Kim,

I am looking fore into this subject  and there is no easy answer that I have
come up with.

I would say 1.  Determine what you want/need for mailing your items.  I have
found very good prices on Amazon for padded envelopes and the waterproof
ones.  If you are a prime member then you get free 2 day shipping, too.
2.  For boxes I haven't done enough research, but check WalMart.  You canb
get Priority envelopes & boxes free from the Post Office, but unless you can
find some way of covering them up then you need to mail them Priority mail.

I haven't figured out how or where to get the flat rate Priority boxes.  I
do know if you go in and purchase or pay for shipping envelopes or boxes at
the post office, it will cost you more doing it at the Post Office then if
you do it online.

I did check out Stamps.com a little bit, but they charge you a monthly
service fee.  There is one out there that will compare UPS, USPS, Fedex and
2 or 3 other services and you can pick the cheapest, but the monthly rate is
the highest if you want to be hooked in with all of them.  If you want to
contract with just one it is like $15 per month.

Pitney Bowes   offers a service that you can try out for 60 days, stamp.com
gives you a 4 week trial

If you are just starting out as I am, I don't want to pay a monthly fee.

I am still looking and if I figure out some more I can let you know.  Like
this week I have about 8 or 9 things to mail out.  I have found boxes now
and I am waiting for my waterproof larger size envelopes that I ordered from
Amazon.

Bottom line is that You need to have your customers pay for shipping.  I
have limited transportation, so I can't exactly run down to the Postoffice
and have them weigh one and then come home and send a note out to the people
for what their bill is and wait to be paid and then get another ride down to
thePost Office to mail it out

I also have not figured where the areas or dividers are for the rates being
higher to ship.I live on the East coast and if I mail it to CA it is going
to cost more then if I mail it to NH.

Only Priority flat rate costs you one price and it does not chage  if going
to Mountain state like Co

Where can a person learn what to do in a small business to save expenses.

Joyce