[Nfb-krafters-korner] OT Braille

Cathy Flesher flowersandherbs at gmail.com
Wed Sep 7 03:18:53 UTC 2016

Hi braille users,

I learned the braille writer when I was six and the slate and stylus when I
was seven. So I am proficient with each. The braille writer is much faster
than the slate and stylus , but it is too heavy to be easily portable. I was
bumped  more than once in the school hallway by a braille writer, ouch! the
slate and stylus are great for carrying around. The worst part about a slate
and stylus is that it takes a long time to press out every single braille
dot. After writing a page of homework, my wrist would ache and my fingers
feel numb. So, think twice about getting a slate and stylus. Computers are
so much easier and if you make an error you don't have to scratch it out or
cover it with for signs.  I am so happy that I have a braille writer though.
It is so handy to walk over to it and quickly jot something down instead of
having to boot up the computer. I use lots of index cards for small notes to
myself.
Speaking of braille aids, does anyone remember the small slate and stylus
that came with a little book and cards so you could have a braille address
book? That was pretty cool back in the day. how about the Lavender braille
writers, anyone remember those?