[Nfb-krafters-korner] FW: Want to know Wednesday, 8/17/2017

Powers, Terry (NIH/NCI) [E] terry.powers at nih.gov
Wed Aug 16 20:34:03 UTC 2017

From: Powers, Terry (NIH/NCI) [E]
Sent: Wednesday, August 16, 2017 4:27 PM
To: 'List for blind crafters and artists' <nfb-krafters-korner at nfbnet.org>
Subject: RE: [Nfb-krafters-korner] Want to know Wednesday, 8/17/2017

I have a story that relates to school, but  did not happen in school.

When I was young,  I used to walk a little behind my mom, who walked with braces and cruches.  I did not know that those around me could see better than me!

Shortly before I was to start first grade, my grand mother asked me if I could see the robin, outside.  I remember, saying, what robin?
That is when she explained to me that others around me could see better than me and why I could not see the bird.
My mom was over protective and she had a family of 3 girls and 2 boys, walk me to school.  The girl, my age would walk me and if she was not going, one of her sisters, would sub for her.
She was one of my best friends, through out elementary school, until they moved!
I will never forget my braille teacher, Mr. Howard, that I had for my first 3 years!
He was an albino.  A real nice man!
He tought me print and in second grade we changed over to braille, lucky me!!!

Terry P.