[Nfb-krafters-korner] Want To Know Wednesday 12/6/17

Amy Herstein maria830 at gmail.com
Mon Dec 11 14:50:27 UTC 2017

Hi, guys.

Most of my crafting improvs have been devised to help me keep my stuff
organized!

Medicine Bottles: I guess I should have been more specific here. I
don't really mean the kind that over-the-counter vitamins, headache
pills, and so on come in. Well, I guess you could use those, but I
think they're a bit harder to dig through if you are looking for a
specific yarn needle or marker. The kind of medicine bottle I use is
one that you usually see your prescription meds come in, the ones that
look more like vials. You either squeeze the tops or press and unscrew
them. I love them for storage of my stitch markers because I can't
tell you how often I lost those! I also like little boxes with snap-on
lids, the kind you can buy sewing straight-pins in.

Yogurt or Sour Cream Containers: I like them for holding skeined or
balled yarns. Use according to size. A smaller cottage or cream cheese
container can hold smaller balls of yarn or thread. You could stick a
larger skein in a ricotta container or some such. Puncture the top so
you can feed your yarn through. This, of course, really isn't the best
way to store it because if you find yourself having to untangle yarn,
you'll have to either cut it out or destroy the top to extract it.
Same for the yarn holders; once your yarn is in, you'll have a Dickens
of a time getting it out to de-tangle.

Canning/Jelly Jars: I plan to get into beading, and I'd rather use
them instead of the teensy screw-top containers seed beads come in. I
feel that a wide-mouthed, small-sized jar would let you have more
control over how many beads come out, and there's more surface area to
stick a label onto.

Film Canisters: Grand for storing your various and sundry needles and
easy to use when you need to select a certain one.

Old Vix Container: Just the right height for needles, but I lost my
old one and need to get another. You can use it for your markers, too,
but I really prefer something with a snap-on lid for those.

Washer: My only item on this list that helps me craft directly, and I
used it only as long as I had to. I was knitting during a meeting one
afternoon when I lost a stitch marker. Looked on the floor, under my
seat, under the seat in front of me, on the lap of my dress, on my
chair, even in my coat pocket--I was wearing a jacket and checked on
the off chance it fell in there. No joy. For some reason, my mother,
who was with me at the time, had a metal washer on her, so I used that
until my return home to a fresh stash of markers. I found it snagged
the yarn, not badly but definitely, but it was serviceable.

Piece of Elastic: Used it once to bind together like-sized knitting
needles. I was working on a project that required two needle sizes, 5
and 6 or 6 and 7, two sizes right in the neighborhood of each other.
Without a needle gauge, I devised a quick way to keep the 6's and 7's
as pairs. I never mixed them up and used the elastic until I got a
multi-needle circular needle set with holes for each size.

Amy

On 12/6/17, Nella Foster via Nfb-krafters-korner