[Nfb-krafters-korner] Want To Know Wednesday 12/20/17

Amy Herstein maria830 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 20 14:00:21 UTC 2017

Hi, everyone.

Unfortunately, this year's handmade gifts, as well as my Christmas
shopping, are a kind of a washout. I've spent most of the last two or
three weeks sick, not seriously so, as it's nothing more than a very,
very, very bad cold, but I have not had enough energy to work on
handmade gifts as I ought. Nevertheless, here are the things I have or
am working on.

For a friend's wedding gift, I'm making a knitted seashell afghan with
a garter-stitch border and bobble embelishments. The yarn is blue.

I made a dear friend a basketweave scarf for her birthday, and she
asked me to knit her another in bright or lemon yellow. My plan to
have it to her for Christmas has gone to the dogs, but I will still do
it. I'm going to use a smooth, classic yarn so that the cables I knit
will appear well.

I have also made beaded necklaces before. I tied two strands of clear,
nylon beading thread and glued them so they stayed in their clasp. I
then strung each side separately, joining them together with one bead
put onto both strands. I used seed beads of varied colors. You can
also do the same thing with shorter strands to have a bracelet.

One of my greatest successes is making baby afghans. My first one was
made from the book, Knitting Patterns, Plain and Fancy, which you
could buy via National Braille Press. I loved the pattern stitch in
the full baby set and made the afghan for a dear friend of mine.

One of my failures was a moss-stitch-diamond afghan. I think that the
stitch I chose was too complex for me, at the time a raw newbie to
knitting, and the beautiful yarn I selected for that project was ugly
to work with. It split and left little threads all over, making it
impossible to work with.

Anyway, still sick or not, I love handmade gifts. I want to be able to
crochet Christmas handbags sometime or perhaps a tree skirt or
Christmas afghan for friends and family. I will once I learn to
crochet.

Happy handmade-gift-making, everyone. can't wait to read about what
all  of you have been doing!!

Amy

On 12/20/17, Nella Foster via Nfb-krafters-korner