[Nfb-krafters-korner] Krafters Korner

blindhands at aol.com blindhands at aol.com
Sun Dec 31 23:14:31 UTC 2017

What NFB Krafters Division is all about...

Thinking you would like to share a crafting project with some folks?  Would
you like to just sit and work on a project and have a friendly chat with
some friends and not leave your house, get a driver, or go out in the cold?

Well that is how Monday Night Chats began years back.  It was like our
knitting, crocheting, looming, quilting or whatever.  Do you remember we use
to call in and sit & chat while working on our own projects.  We
occasionally had a speaker and we even occasionally had someone read us a
crochet or knit pattern and we would sit and work on it besides chat.
  Those things changed due to having planned topics got more folks turning
up for Monday Night Chats and having folks  come in all at a set time.

Classes have changed over the years, too.  We started out with just
telephone classes and the students showed up with their supplies and ready
to start working on the project.  The teachers would be available right
there while you did each step and if you didn't understand what the teacher
was explaining
 You had the teacher to explain it better or another student would put it in
different words and the light bulb would go on.  Teachers and students would
also work one on one if a student needed extra help.

We developed email classes not too long back to provide for folks who lived
in parts of the USA & World so they had a way to learn what we were
teaching.

Today, the World has changed and everyone is in a rush, no time for this, no
time for that, just give me the directions and I will do it if & when I have
time.  No time to chat, no time to visit,....

The few of us that were here in the beginning remember these things.  The
few teachers left are asking why and how to turn this around.  A teacher
puts a lot of work in preparing for a class, writing up directions for us,
who cannot see, listing 6 weeks before a class begins a list of supplies and
writing up a class proposal.  We have lost many teachers due to getting
jobs, drifting away and growing out of spending money on crafting.

We are offering give away contests with some very nice gifts and  even
quarterly contests with exceptional  prizes and a Grand Prize of $500  and
you had in 2017 43 classes and you paid $20.  Think now what a twenty dollar
bill can get you today...

You need to put some thought into what you want out of Krafters Korner and
what you will do to give back and make things better.

You can start by saying "Thank You" to those that make these things happen.
If you would like to do a class and hesitant , you can give me a call and do
a dry run by teaching me. Just by sharing some ideas on the list can
stimulate and get your creative juices flowing.  Take a little time and
share with others.

Joyce Kane, President
NFB Krafters Division