[Nfb-krafters-korner] What new crafting things did you get for Christmas?

blindhands at aol.com blindhands at aol.com
Thu Jan 5 05:32:22 UTC 2017

I  first would ask her what she thinks she wants to so?  This will give some
consideration on what to look for.  I am very satisfied with my Brother 420
sewing machine, but I was in search of a few things and I got it in this
machine.  Funny you caught me tonight just doing some finishing work on a
couple projects that I embroidered on My Baby Lock.

I paid like $450 a couple of years back and was just recently looking up
info for my Brother 420 and it is still running at that price.  I did
purchase it kinda online, but I bought it thru the sewing machine dealer in
Alabama near Jill.  It was priced much higher in CT at the sewing machine
store.

Do not give up on a sewing machine store.  Your Grand daughter will need to
have a place to ask questions on her machine, take some free introduction
classes  and learn how to pick people's minds that have the knowledge on the
machines they are selling.   WalMart sells Brother machine and they have
some machines running between $200 & $300 that have some good extras, but if
you need to ask some questions or need to learn how to use it, the basket
boy won't have any answers for you.

A few must have and make who ever demo this.  Auto threader.  Make them show
you more than once, twice, three times, etc.  As if it doesn't work or
misses even once automatically threading it forget it.  Another feature that
I know the lower priced Brother has is an automatic thread cutter for the
top thread and bobbin thread.  When I sewed for years there was always
thread all over the floor in the sewing room and on me and as I walked
around the house it followed me...

My brother has a button that you push when done sewing a seam and it cuts
the top and bobbin thread up close to the fabric with no ends hanging or
needing trimming  When I was a kid at age 11 I started out sewing on a
Singer treddle machine I would have to pull the thread to get them both on
the same side of the fabric, tie a knot and trim the thread ends.  Mom took
a tailoring class when I was 5 and you had to learn Mom's way in order to
sew on Mon's machine.

We picked my Granddaughter up a Brother machine from WalMart and got it on
sale for around $150.  Of course she likes to use mine and she had Gram  and
me to answer her questions and give her the lessons on the new machine.
Actually, I taught the oldest one and my Mom taught the middle one on a
Singer Pixie[strickly a toy type machine.

You need to consider her working area, too.  As if she wants to make clothes
that can be done with the machine on a computer table or desk.  The computer
table gives room for cutting out and more room for sewing then a desk.  I
had gotten this extension table top that fits around my sewing machine and
gives me much more surface for sewing and putting quilts together.  The nice
thing is that the top lifts up and it has all these cubby spots for your
sewing supplies.  That I got from the Alabama sewing machine store for an
additional $70 and they gave me a fancy purple suitcase that my machine fits
in and it has a handle and wheels on it.  That was no cost to me and
shipping for all of it was free.

So good luck in the search.  Used machines are good, but I would make that
kinda purchase from a sewing machine dealer.

Joyce