[Nfb-krafters-korner] how to ensure your crochet edges are straight

Cathy Flesher flowersandherbs at gmail.com
Mon Jan 9 22:36:27 UTC 2017

Hi all,

This has been a problem for me for a long time and I have been reading a
book that really helped me to understand how to ensure that the edges stay
straight.

It is called the crochet master rule.

The idea is to know which is the first stitch in your row. Is it the turning
chain or is it the first stitch past the turning chain.

When a chain is used as the first stitch then you must crochet into the
turning chain at the end of the row. Alternatively, when you do not count
the chain as the first stitch and instead crochet into the stitch just to
the left of the chain, then you do not crochet into the chain at the end of
the row.

In this case, the chain is moving you up to the next row and is otherwise
just decorative.

Wow, so simple but I never knew. It's been hit and miss for me.

Hope this helps someone.

Have a great day!!

Cathy F