[Nfb-krafters-korner] Sewing machines again

blindhands at aol.com blindhands at aol.com
Thu Jan 12 03:14:44 UTC 2017

I have maybe 2 or 3 Elna's.  They are the older models and I did get them
all second hand.  I used the Elna for making my kids clothes when they were
small and I used it to make hundreds, yest hundreds of clown outfits for the
dolls I made and sold at craft shows, wholesaled them out to stores in CT,
Cape Cod, Gift Shops, Maternity and Baby clothes Shops, party lines  and I
just sold them all over.  They did get sent out to many countries, too.

My Mom had gotten a new Elna maybe 20 years back and her's died within the
last 2 years.  These machines used plastic cams to do fancy stitching.  I
used a lot on the children clothing I made.

I can't imagine they use cams now as they are all computerized.

It all depends on what she wants to make on the machine.  If she is going
into custome designing then make sure she has a free arm.  I understand that
Baby Lock has a smaller free arm and this one you can add embroidery to it.

Check out if you are considering going for say over $400 that what other
things can be upgraded to what possibilities she might want.

There are Berninas that are expensive, but you can get a quilting model and
add embroidery unit and that kinda stuff.

But for making clothes and costumes you need a machine that can sew well on
knit fabrics, woven fabrics, lace, do buttonholes and zippers  and she might
need a surger down the road.

Sear's as they should have people trained on the machines they sell.

Pick their brains and check out features on several machines and then do
some homework on what features and models have what she thinks she will
like.  The machines have come out and moved forward with the self threadeing
machines.  Brother's has done a great job on self threader on my Brother 420
machine.  I do like the feature of the cutters for the bobbin and top thread
and on mine that is a push button.  My Brother threads and wines bobbins the
same as my Brother machine so I don't know who is making them.

You need to set a price on what you want to spend and then go an check them
out.

Going back a ways I purchased this Singer and I loved the fact that it had
this foot that had a slider in it.  You placed a button in the foot and set
the machine to the buttonhole settings and it would automatically make a
buttonhole that would fit your button.  Well Brother 420 has that feature.
I purchased my Singer back maybe 35 years ago and this was the first machine
that offered that Singer Futura.  That was the first machine that I
purchased brand new in the box.

Check at the sewing machine store if they have any used machines.  They will
guarantee them if they have serviced them and they take turn ins from folks
when they purchase a new machine.

Joyce