[Nfb-krafters-korner] want to know Wednesday

Zimmer, Cindy cindy.zimmer at nebraska.gov
Thu Jun 15 13:38:59 UTC 2017

Ten Hut...Nice stories Nella!

-----Original Message-----
From: Nfb-krafters-korner [mailto:nfb-krafters-korner-bounces at nfbnet.org] On Behalf Of Nella Foster via Nfb-krafters-korner
Sent: Wednesday, June 14, 2017 11:32 AM
To: nfb-krafters-korner at nfbnet.org
Cc: Nella Foster <jellybeanfarm at gmail.com>
Subject: [Nfb-krafters-korner] want to know Wednesday

Both my Father and Grandfather were a huge part of my life.  In many ways I was closer to my Grandfather than my Father.  I thought my Grandpa hung the moon; he could do no wrong.  He spoiled me and I was his little shadow.

Grandpa used to take me into town when he picked up supplies for the farm.
He knew everyone and had to stop and talk to everyone in town.  It could take quite a while to run errands with Grandpa.  He always introduced me as his little helper and I was so proud to be there with him.  To this day when I walk into a farm supply store I fondly think of my Grandpa.

I've never been as close to my Dad, but have learned a lot from him over the years.  I still call him up when I have questions about farming or  home repairs.  My memories are more humorous.

  When I was growing up we had a barn cat and he was a very good hunter.
One morning the cat brought a little chipmunk and dropped it at Dad's feet.
My Dad praised the cat and then suddenly the chipmunk jumped up and ran up Dad's pants and shirt and stood shaking on his shoulder.  Dad stayed very calm and slowly walked towards a tree.  The whole time the cat is trying to leap on Dad and reach the chipmunk.  When Dad got to the tree the chipmunk jumped off and ran up the tree.

Another morning at the barn Dad opened a wooden box that we kept grain in and reached in to scoop some out.  Two little raccoons ran up Dad's arm, leaped off his shoulder and took off.  Dad was a little startled, but only jumped back and laughed.  He seems to always stay calm in crazy situations.

Another memory I have is going hiking with Dad.  He marched us all along like a troop of soldiers.  We got to stop each hour for a five minute break.
Dad told us how some general back in the day did this and how successful his army was.  I would always respond by saying we are a family, not an army and this is supposed to be our vacation. Lol

Nella