[Nfb-krafters-korner] Monday night chat

Nella Foster jellybeanfarm at gmail.com
Thu Mar 9 13:51:55 UTC 2017

Hello all.

Sorry for posting this again, but I need to add a couple things.

On Monday March 13 Courtney was scheduled to teach a St. Patrick’s day
craft.  She is unable to do that and has asked me to lead chat.

I  plan on giving an over view of stick weaving, which means we will be
weaving long strips.  This is a very old method of weaving that is very
portable and requires no special equipment.

  If you wish to participate you will need 5 or more tapestry needles.  I
plan on using the largest ones I have, but you can use smaller ones as well.
You can also take a drinking straw and cut into 3 or 4 pieces.  The pieces
should be 3 or 4 inches long.  You will need 5 or more pieces of straw.  I
would not recommend using more than eight needles or straws.  You will also
need scissors, and yarn that will fit through your needles or straws.  Using
larger tapestry needles, straws and a thicker yarn will be easier to manage
when first learning.

If you wish you can go ahead and cut your yarn into lengths.  You will want
to cut as many lengths as you have needles and straws.  Your yarn needs to
be more than twice the desired length of your weaving project.  So, if you
want to make a strip that is two feet long your yarn should be at least 4 ½
feet long.  You will also need yarn to use as your working yarn when we
start weaving.  If you want a color pattern you can use two different
colors, one to go through the needles or straws and another to be your
working yarn.

If you have difficulty getting the yarn through the straws try using a
smaller tapestry needle to draw it through.  You might also try sticking a
straight pin on the yarn and dropping it through the straws.

One more thing you might want to use to  make your weaving a little easier
is something to hold the ends of your yarn in place.  I use a clip board,
but you might be able to place a heavy book or something like that on the
yarn.  You can even tie the yarn ends to something.  I will try to do a
better job of explaining all this on Monday.

Please let me know if any of this is unclear and you have questions.

Nella