[Nfb-krafters-korner] Want To Know Wednesday

Cathy Flesher flowersandherbs at gmail.com
Sat Mar 18 03:04:12 UTC 2017

Hi Bernice and all,

My husband took wood shop in the Ohio state school for the blind. He made a
number of things, one was a huge cabinet. He did use power tools and really
enjoyed the class.
So blind folks can certainly learn these skills as you have said. However,
personally I don't like the sound of loud things and I wouldn't feel
comfortable learning how to use them.

My friend next door and another friend's husband both carve and have made
some wonderful things. My neighbor made a walking stick out of a single
piece of hardwood and carved a golden retriever on the top. It has such
detail. I can feel the ruffled fluffy neck hair.!! My friend's husband made
a carving that creates a tactile picture into wood. It was of a beach with a
lighthouse shining over the water. I could feel the rocks on the beach, the
waves on the water and even the beam of light from the lighthouse. It was so
awesome.

So for everyone that goes to the chat, enjoy yourselves. ... my birthday is
coming up next month. <smile>

Cathy F