[Nfb-krafters-korner] Want To Know Wednesday

Annette Carr amcarr1 at verizon.net
Sat Mar 18 15:09:23 UTC 2017

Hi All,

While I have not made large elaborate wood projects, I've completed a number
of small projects while taking wood shop when attending the school for the
blind.  I really enjoyed making things with the wood lave.  The key to using
any tools is learning all of the safety rules and employing them every time
you work.  It is not much different than cooking.  I.E. don't wear lose
fitting clothing, make sure the pot handles are never hanging off of the
stove and never leave stirring/serving utensils in the pot, to name a few.
If we think about it, we have rules/practices like this when we do our
crafting.  Not only does it make it safe, but efficient and enjoyable.

There was a study done around 30 years ago.  They compared the efficiency of
blind auto mechanics and those who were sighted.  They were all provided
with a large bin of all of the same parts and had to assemble a major part
of the vehicle.  It might have been all of the mechanisms under the hood.
They had 8 hours to complete the task.  The mechanics who were blind
consistently completed the task faster than their sighted counterparts.  The
blind mechanics would organize the parts after touching them the first time.
This saved them time looking for it when they did need it.  I use the word
"touching" not because they were blind, but because they had to physical
physically touch and move the parts to look for what they needed.

Ok, I've rambled well beyond the topic of crafts, but I hope you find value
in this that you can apply to your crafting.

Annette

Annette