[Nfb-krafters-korner] Hello

Nella Foster jellybeanfarm at gmail.com
Thu Oct 5 21:42:55 UTC 2017

Hello Amber and welcome to Krafters Corner.

We do have a few people who sew here.  I do some very basic sewing.  I've made curtains and simple clothing.

I suggest starting out with a basic sewing machine, one that doesn't have to many options or knobs.  Usually the more basic machines are easier for the blind to label and control.

Supplies such as needle threaders and seam guides can make sewing much easier.  Coming up with a method of labeling and organizing threads and fabric is also very important.

I have never tried quilting, so other members will have to give you suggestions on that craft.

I enjoy making some clothing, but it is very difficult for me to understand how a pattern looks.  I've had different people describe patterns to me and often I don't have any idea what the finished garment should look like.  I tend to modify existing clothing because I understand what I'm starting with and what I want my end result to be.  I've also taken apart old clothing that I really like and used the pieces to make patterns.

I hope this is helpful; please ask questions; the people are very friendly.

Nella