[Nfb-krafters-korner] more apples

Jan Bailey jb021951 at charter.net
Tue Sep 19 02:25:13 UTC 2017

My mother made these all the time when I was growing up. Delicious!

APPLE SQUARES

Printed from COOKS.COM

----

Peel and core 6 to 8 apples, slice and mix with:

1 to 1 1/4 c. sugar

1 tsp. cinnamon

1/8 tsp. salt

Let stand while making crust of:

2 1/2 c. flour

1/2 tsp. salt

2 tbsp. sugar

1 c. shortening (I use half butter and half margarine)

Mix as for pie crust.

Beat 2 egg yolks in measuring cup and add milk to 2/3 cup milk. Mix into
flour mixture and divide in 2. Roll 1/2 to form crust in cookie sheet. Fit
into

sides of pan. Crumble 1 cup of corn flakes and sprinkle over crust. Add the
apples. Top with remaining crust. Beat 2 egg whites until frothy and spread

over all.

Bake at 400 degrees until apples are done, 45 minutes to 1 hour. Frost with
powdered sugar icing while warm. Make a very soft icing. Makes 24 squares.
Use

15x10x1 jelly roll pan or cookie sheet.