[Nfb-krafters-korner] Want To Know Wednesday 4/18/18

Sharon Hooley shooley42 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 19 14:30:53 UTC 2018

I use the backing of a string cheese package for needle threading with yarn.  Here’s how I make them:

1.  Save the flat backing when you open a string cheese package, and wipe it clean.

2.  Position it so that the long sides of this rectangular piece are vertical.

3.  Now, fold it in half by taking up the short ends, and crease well.

4.  repeat folding in half as much as possible for you to follow a crease as you cut through them.  This will give you multiple smaller strips.

5.  Fold those slips in half, and cut them again until you have reasonably sized strips, which, when folded in half and creased,  can hold the end of your yarn and slide it into the eye of your needle.  Do fine trimming if necessary to fit.

6.  Now, to thread a needle, take the end of a piece of yarn and enfold it into this threader, as you might do when putting a hot dog into its bun, and slide it into the eye of the needle, pinching it so you can line it up if necessary.

I use this method when working with plastic canvas.  Here are some other unconventional tools I use:

Nail clippers to trim plastic canvas.  Hold the clippers at an angle so that it won’t sink beyond the line you want to keep.

Small safety pins, and those plastic twisters that hold new cables in a package when you purchase them, can be used as markers when you want to keep track of where to cut canvas, and, when you want to build something,, you can fasten parts together until your stitches take hold.

Another thing i use is an eye glass case for keeping a pair of scissors that is naturally open with a shelf as a guide.

Hth,