[NFB-Krafters-Korner] using pliers

Tracy Carcione carcione at access.net
Sun Aug 26 14:30:26 UTC 2018

Hi Daniella.
I'm guessing they're needle-nosed pliers, with long, pointy blades?
First, you could practice grasping things with the pliers.  I'd probably try
grasping a finger, gently.  Or you could skip that, and go straight to
business.
To bend the wire, slide your clasp onto the wire, then grab it with the
pliers close to the end of the wire, and close to the end of the pliers,
then gently start bending, holding the wire with the other hand.  So, I'm
right-handed, so I'd have the pliers in my right hand, and hold the wire
with my left.  When you've bent almost all the way around, make sure your
clasp is inside the loop you're making before closing it up.
Crimping beads are a bit trickier.  Slide the bead onto the wire.  Slide on
a clasp.  Stick the end of the wire back through the crimping bead, creating
a loop to hold the clasp.  Pull the loop tight-ish.  Then grab the crimping
bead with the end of the pliers and squeeze it shut.  Be careful not to grab
anyother beads at the same time, because squeezing them will break them.  I
think it works best if you can squeeze it crossways, so it's pushing down on
the 2 strings going through it.
HTH.
Tracy