[Nfb-krafters-korner] Socks

Tracy Carcione carcione at access.net
Thu Feb 1 12:49:11 UTC 2018

Hi Melanie.
I've knitted a fair number of socks, and I'm planning to knit a pair again as soon as some exciting new sock yarn comes into my knitting store next month.
My favorite method is to knit 2 at a time on 2 circular needles.  It can be a bit confusing at first, but it works great, and I end up with both socks at the same time when I'm done.

There are a few books on socks in braille from NLS, though some of the patterns are only charted, and the charts aren't reproduced.  Grrrr.
My favorite sock method is toe-up, so I can try it on as I go.  I select a stitch pattern I want for the patterned part, then I work a plain stockinette for a while until I get near the ankle, or wherever I want to start my pattern.  I start the pattern on the top of the sock (the instep?), and keep working plain on the bottom until I've gotten past the heel, then work the pattern all around.
I like making socks with self-striping yarn, so they're interesting without a lot of effort on my part.
Socks, what fun!
Tracy