[Nfb-krafters-korner] Continental verses English knitting

Melanie melaniepeskoe at gmail.com
Fri Feb 16 15:18:22 UTC 2018

Hi knitters, lately I've been thinking about picking up my needles again.
For a long time I felt like I should learn to continental knit because that
would be faster, lately though I feel like I shouldn't necessarily worry
about that if English knitting is working for me. Bear in mind that I'm a
left handed crocheter. This means I am used to having the yarn in my right
hand. Most right handed crocheters are used to having the yarn in their
left hand thus making it easier to learn to knit the continental style. I
know I can learn to knit backwards and such, but that seems like a huge
undertaking and confusing as can be. I'm wondering what you all think about
the advantages and disadvantages of both methods? Am i really at a
significant disadvantage if I never learn to continental knit? I
desperately want to learn how to do more advanced knitting. All I have
learned so far is garter stitch, stockinette stitch and how to increase
with a yarn over. I want to learn more so I can make more! I'll be anxious
to hear what you all think? Are there any advanced beginner needle knitting
classes on the radar?
Thanks!
Melanie