[Nfb-krafters-korner] Continental verses English knitting

amcarr1 at verizon.net amcarr1 at verizon.net
Fri Feb 16 22:29:52 UTC 2018

Hi Melanie,

The bottom line is if you are comfortable with how you get from the first
cast on stitch to the last bound off stitch, that is all that matters.  If
you know how to knit, purl and yarn over, you just need to learn about
increasing and decreasing.  The rest is all about following a pattern, and
finding the combinations of yarn and needles that work best in your hands.
It sounds like you are well on your way to more advanced knitting.

I learned to knit as a child with the English method, and it was not until
about 10 or so years ago that I learned how to do continental knitting.  I
knew how to crochet with my yarn woven through the fingers on my left hand,
so I think that helped with the transition.  I did see an increase in my
speed once I got the hang of continental knitting.

The reality is that if English knitting is really a slower technique, why do
people still use it?  My recommendation is for you to keep doing what you
are doing.  If an opportunity comes up to learn how to continental knit, try
it out.  If you like it, great.  If you do not, just go back to what you are
comfortable with.

HTH,
Annette