[Nfb-krafters-korner] Hello, new here

Melanie melaniepeskoe at gmail.com
Tue Jan 30 19:11:59 UTC 2018

Hi Cathy!
Your granny square baby blanket sounds lovely. I absolutely love doing all
sorts of granny square projects. It's a design that's timeless and classic!
I've made many a baby blanket and a few throws, but I've only done one full
size blanket as it takes way too long and way too much yarn! Let's see, my
favorite crochet piece would have to be an open front cardigan with a
scalloped edging and pockets. It took a long time to make it and it was a
bit more involved since I had to do a lot of measuring, but I was so proud
of how it turned out. I make all sorts of scarves and shawls, hats,
coasters, dream catchers, wall hangings, ponchos, slippers/socks... I am
currently working on a corner to corner lap blanket to donate to my local
NFB chapter for an auction. I'm not sure what kind of edging I'm going to
put on it yet, but I like how it's shaping up. I sent Terry a message with
this question, but I'll ask here as well since there seems to be no
shortage of crocheters here. I learned to crochet years ago when I had much
more usable vision. I still have some vision, but it's becoming more and
more difficult for me crochet visually. I knit non visually, but that's
because I learned to knit from someone who is blind also and I have never
known any different. As I get older I find that I use my vision less and
less because I get eye strain headaches frequently. My question is this, is
there anyone who can help me learn how to crochet non visually? I can do a
double crochet without looking and I guess that's pretty much muscle
memory, but i'm wondering what non visual techniques do you use to crochet?
I want to learn how to do this and begin transitioning so that I can build
speed. I crochet pretty quickly now and I have to so I can get orders done
in time. Anyway, sorry to ramble! Thanks again for the welcome!
Melanie