[Nfb-krafters-korner] Want to Know Wednesday 1/31/18

Amy Herstein maria830 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 31 20:10:48 UTC 2018

Hi, everyone.

It is windy here in Maryland, too, but the difference is that it has
turned extremely cold ... again. We had a tiny veneer of snow, nothing
much, but enough to frost the grass a little.

If I have a choice, I love to buy my crafting tools and supplies from
smaller businesses. Don't get me wrong. I do frequent larger
businesses, especially online warehouses, but I've never grown weary
of the charm of the smal-business craftsperson. I love and am grateful
for their good service, their knowledge of the crafts, and their
passion for what they do, and I love the chance to enroll in classes
at local yarn stores and to network with other crafters. When I choose
my sewing machine, I'd like to find a similar place; ditto for my
fabric. Now that I've finished up my generalizing, here is some info
about my specific place of choice.

Specifically, I love Clover Hill Yarn Shop. It was originally owned by
a woman who had a young daughter, a husband, and five cats. She spins
her own yarn and is a crocheting and knitting guru. So were the other
women she hired; many was the time I came to see Jolene or her staff
with a very hopelessly tangled mess of yarn or a project I'd goofed up
so badly I couldn't make heads or tails of the mistakes I'd made. She
or her staff always fixed them and sent me on my way ready to work on
it again. During the time she owned the shop, I took classes from her
or the others: a designing class, a tank top class (one of the
projects I goofed up and then lost), a class during which we made a
shawl, a mittens class, and more. Among my various and sundry
unfinished objects is a beautiful, cabled, button-less sweater made
out of a yarn no longer produced, one featuring a diamond cable on the
back and each front, adorned with lace. Her shop is small, but the
yarns are lovely, and the samples she knitted were lusciously
tantalizing. The staff always remembered me, helped me sort out masses
of complex knitting charts, and loved to help me choose just the right
yarn for each project.

A while ago, Jolene sold her shop, but the women who bought it from
her are just as good. They have chosen to structure their classes
differently, but they've kept the sit-and-knit and sit-and-spin
socials. They are just as helpful with charts, correcting badly abused
projects, and selecting quality yarns.

Amy

On 1/31/18, Nella Foster via Nfb-krafters-korner