[Nfb-krafters-korner] Knitting: picking up wraps

Cindy S slerythema at gmail.com
Wed Jul 11 17:34:28 UTC 2018

Tracy,

I knit socks all the time and while I love the way the short-row heal fits, it is difficult to pick up those wraps. Because of the difficulties, I use other heels. The one that I use the most has you knitting the gusset flat the same number of rows as stitches on your heel. (Also, when working flat you slip all first stitches and knit all last stitches whether you use a reinforcing stitch on the heel or not). When you reach the top, you go down the side and pick up the side stitches you created by slipping that first stitch. At the join, you may pick up a couple of extra stitches if like (I do) or continue onto the top and knit across. At the other side, pick up those stitches like you did the first side. Now you are ready to continue in the round with the following pattern (I use stitch markers to keep track of those "top" of the heel stitches):
Row 1: knit to two stitches before the join, k2tog, knit across the top of the foot, ssk, knit back to the top stitches of the heel.
Row 2: knit all

You continue the pattern until you have reduced down to your original number of stitches (only the "top" of heel stitches remain). If you need to increase stitches for your ankle you may stop at the number of stitches you need or continue to the original number and then do any increases you need.

There are several heels you can try to avoid using the wraps (even sighted knitters don't like them and have trouble leaving holes). Some that you can look up are the Fish Kiss Lips Heel and After Thought Heel are very popular. Or just look for variations on the gusset heel or no gusset heel.

Hope that helps. I have short, very wide feet and love my hand-made socks that fit me just right.

Let me know if you need any more help.

Cindy