[Nfb-krafters-korner] Drop spindle

Jessica Arnold arnold.jessica.2017 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 29 06:07:44 UTC 2018

Hello.

I don't know if this will help as I didn't see the original message.

I have a drop spindle here. What I find works for me is I as dixie
said just take a little bit of the fiber I am spinning off of the big
chunk. I spin it till I am comfortable with how its doing or get low
on the fiber then I take some more out.

My problem has always been that I end up breaking my spin and then end
up with a foot or so of spun yarn that I can't think of what to do
with it. So end up throwing it and trying again.

When I spin successfully what I also find helps is I spin the spindle.
Then I hold the fiber where I want the spin to stop. Once the spindle
is spun where it starts coming back in the opposite direciton I hold
it in between my knees (the spindle I mean) and work the spin into the
unspun fiber slow but sure.)

I think I sat outside one day and spun quite a bit doing it this way
definitely more than a foot. Probably like five feet or more. But I
got discouraged and haven't spun for a while now.

It also depends on what fiber your spinning with. Or so I have read.
Some fibers are just easier to sin than others I guess.

I have a few bags of fiber sitting on my craft table in the hall.
Perhaps I should try spinning again.

The thing I don't know what to do is when I spin al the thread if I
don't end up with unfixable breaks (probably because I am a beginner
spinner that is happening most likely) How I get the thread of the
spindle without it getting all tangled. And what I do with it then.

I don't understand what hanks of yarn are or how to tie them. I wonder
maybe if I buy a hank maybe I could understand.

For the person who uses a wheel. Dixie. I am guessing your just used
to using a wheel. But I would feel like the thread would be out of my
control with the wheel. Wheels I think are designed to spin more yarn
more quickly. But maybe its just a matter of learning too.

I wish I had local classes here that I could take to learn . I love
spinning if I could just stop breaking the thread and feeling like I
can't attach more for some reason.

Oh my question. Sorry. Do you feel like the wheel goes to fast
sometimes. Or as I said is it just a matter of learning.

Someone tried to teach me on the wheel. And I got the fiber and thread
all caught up in the wheel several times. But then again. Maybe if I
had just taken more time to learn.

On 6/28/18, Tracy Carcione via Nfb-krafters-korner