[NFB-Krafters-Korner] Really confused about how to do the long tail cast on.

Tracy Carcione carcione at access.net
Fri Apr 19 12:03:35 UTC 2019

Maria's explanation sounds good to me.
I find it helpful to think of my left thumb as a needle.  I put a loop on it, with a little twist, as if I was doing the most basic cast-on that's just flipping loops over the needle.  Then I knit that stitch off my thumb onto the right needle.  Hope that makes sense.

The way I try to get the right amount of yarn in my long tail for all my stitches is to wrap the yarn around the needle as many times as I need stitches, at about the same tension as my knitting.  Then I hold the place where I stopped with 2 fingers, unwrap the yarn with the other hand, and put my slip knot at the place where I'm holding the yarn.  It kinda works, but I often have to do the cast-on a couple times to get it to come out right.  Which is why I'm changing to a knitted cast-on, which doesn't require that tricky estimate.
Tracy