[NFB-Krafters-Korner] Cane holder

Georgia Cabus cabusgeorgia at gmail.com
Sun Mar 31 19:59:11 UTC 2019

Hey Tracy,

I mentioned something similar before on one of the conference calls.

Mine was a white cane bag. I made one before for myself so I won't be
making my clothes dirty when I place my folded cane on my lap. The tips are
especially dirty mostly since its like your shoes. No one places there
dirty shoes on their lap or even inside their pocket bags. Its great also
if you are at a formal setting or at a nice sit down restaurant. I get
fellow white cane users putting their white cane on top of the table and I
cringe! Not just me, people with good eyesight can see that stains on those
tips. Then I get excuses of oh I can't bend over and reach the floor or I
don't have a bag with me etc etc. I like hands free too and as much as I
can put all necessity in my pockets I will and always left holding my white
cane on hand.

I used the arm sleeve of my hooded zip jacket then when one of the doggies
I was walking decided to pull my jacket from the chair and chomped a big
hole on it. I liked the soft cloth and its stretchable a little bit. I
didn'r want to throw it away and thought of finding a use for the 'doggie
chomped free' portion. It looked great and people kept asking me where I
bought it.

Its very versatile. Washable, foldable and I could stuff it in my pocket if
I unfold my cane. I get away of putting my white cane on top of the table
and don't offend people who can see the tip of my white cane. Of course you
can do all alternatives to have blind etiquette but how many times I am at
a crowded setting with no time to find a place to put my cane but on me, it
was a saver! Its good too if you work in a professional field and meet
people with no vision problems, you look organized and clean. They don't
know blind etiquette most of the time but they certainly know a dirty
stained looking marshmallow lol. I have the rolling 'marshmallow' tip.

I'm trying to make one with a draw string long enough so I can either use
the string as a holder or sling it on my shoulder. I even thought of
attaching a clip on hook like you thought so I can hook it either on the
white cane itself if I have the cane unfolded so I won't lose the bag.

Unfortunately I couldn't go to the convention this year but I would love to
help out.

Georgia