[NFB-Krafters-Korner] Sewing machine

Ramona walhoframona at gmail.com
Wed Sep 4 19:18:36 UTC 2019

Do you live in a tiny town? There should be a place to check out machines in most cities. Check online under Singer, Brother, Kenmore to see where the closest place is that they actually have machines in stock. I believe there is one from Switzerland and at least one from Japan, but can't tell you who carries them. The thing you have to decide is how much computerization you want and what screens you can see. You may be able to find a used machine, but I would recommend using it before you buy to see if it is in good condition. Also, I would suggest you be sure there is somewhere you can take it for servicing unless you know someone who does it. Other than reading screens, I am not sure that blindness makes a lot of difference in using a sewing machine. More important is what you know about using it and what you want to sew.

My machine is more than 40 years old. But I have taught sewing using a variety of machines. Most of my students have had a preference, but blindness had little to do with it. Some machines will handle heavy weight fabric; some are equipped to do much fancier stitching; differences such as these have to do with which model you choose, not who makes them.

Blind seamstresses need to have a good way to guide fabric as they sew, thread it,  and change settings on the machine. Our techniques are different, but we can still learn new ones from each other. Happy shopping!!! and Happy sewing!!!
Ramona