[NFB-Krafters-Korner] Want to know Wednesday

Tracy Carcione carcione at access.net
Thu Sep 12 01:33:08 UTC 2019

I was at home in northern New Jersey.  I heard the news on the radio, and
called my Husband in Manhattan.  He was in midtown Manhattan.  Until a few
years before, he had worked at the World Trade Center.  I was never so
glad that he'd been laid off.  He had to get a ride home from work, once
they started letting people leave, but no buses were running.
Later that day, I heard a fighter jet fly past my house.  Scary.
A classmate of mine from programming school was killed.  He used a
wheelchair, and couldn't get down the stairs.  A friend of his stayed with
him, waiting for help that never got to them.  Other friends of mine ran
from the building.
There is a song they sometimes play on the Irish radio here "They were
running up, when everyone else was running down."  It's about the
firefighters who were trying to rescue people like my classmate.
This is always a sad and terrible day for me.
Tracy