[NFB-Krafters-Korner] Success Saturday

Yolanda Thompson ylt999 at gmail.com
Sun Aug 30 22:11:07 UTC 2020

So, these are blackout curtains. I was working with blackout material
and designer material which faces the room. We had already mounted the
rods to the door, which sit really close to the actual door. This
meant I could not use the Dritz Curtains gromets, and needed the
curtain to open during the day and blackout completely at night.

I took the designer material and made it 1-1/2 half times the width of
the window. I made it 2 inches longer than the length between the two
door rods.
I then turned in the sides 1/4 of an inch. I cut the blackout material
just inside that 1/4 inch raw edge on the side. I then folded the 1/4
inch over the blackout material to give it finished sides.

I then folded the top and bottom edges of both materials on inch, and
pinned them in place.

Since i could not use curtain gromets, and the double material
bunching up on the rod would not allow full window exposure, I took
bias tape and ran it along the raw edges of the top and bottom. Then I
cut one inch pieces of bias tape and spaced it evenly along the top
and bottom so that the folded loop part would be facing the top for
the top rod and the bottom for the bottom rod. I sewed along the edge
of the bias tape holding everything in place, and ran the two door
rods through the bias created loops. Now it opens all the way past the
window and closes all the way to block out light at night.

On 8/30/20, Ramona via NFB-Krafters-Korner