[NFB-Krafters-Korner] Knitting patterns

Tracy Carcione carcione at access.net
Sat Jan 4 16:22:07 UTC 2020

I used the blanket rectangle project to find out what some patterns in A
Treasury of Knitting Patterns look like.  I thought I'd share my findings.

Diamond brocade makes diamonds outlined by an opposite stitch, like purl
outlined by knit.

Double diamonds makes a diamond outlined by tiny diamonds.  The tiny
diamonds aren't as pronounced an outline as the stitches in diamond brocade.
Both are very pretty patterns for diamond lovers like me.

Arabic diamonds creates very subtle diamonds that are not connected to each
other.  There's a bit of empty purl space between.

Chevron creates rounded rectangles.  With the slightly fuzzy yarn I used,
they're not real pronounced, so it also looks like zigzags.

Dotted chevron creates wide waves with an eye in the blank space between
waves.  It looks like a smile with an eye above.  Pretty cool.

Vandyke zigzag is a line of squares, with diagonal lines on either side
pointing to the square, kind of like a fish.  It's very interesting.

The last pattern I made is one I just kinda made up myself.  I call it
check.  It is:  knit 6, purl 6 (or whatever number of stitches fits evenly
into your gauge.)  When you've done that far enough to make a square, switch
to purl 6, knit 6, and make another square the reverse of the first.  Easy,
but nice.

So now I know about 6 different knit-purl patterns.  I'd be interested to
hear about patterns others have used for their rectangles.

Tracy